Sunday, December 28, 2008

UMMM traditions for the end of the year El Ano viejo

So the end of the year is approaching and this is the perfect time to talk a little about the traditions I grew up with...is funny how there are so many superstitious things to do for the New Year. Just a funny note in Colombia we say allot El Ano Viejo which translates to the Old Year. Not New Year.

I know many are done by other countries here are a few of the ones I grew up seeing, I remember my Abuelo and Abuela with friends doing things like this. I have kept a few some others I stop doing.
  • Get a luggage and at midnight go out of the house and around the block carrying it and then come back in.. by doing this you will travel the upcoming year.
  • Eat 12 grapes at midnight and make a wish every time you eat one.
  • Wear brand new underwear preferably red
  • Take an egg a glass of water and break the egg inside the glass put the glass under the bed and the next day between your family and your friends, read the egg to see what is going to happen the following year (not sure how to read an egg is more like a fun thing to do)
  • We also build like a doll made out of scraps and then we burn him and really what it means is burning El Ano Viejo.
I guess you would wonder with so many things to do right at midnight you will not be finish till about 1:00 AM

2 comments:

Meela said...

interesting traditions! i might have to try the thing. i've been dying to travel and haven't had the time or the money to do it

Khadra said...

sounds very tiring!

And Im not crazy! You do eat grapes and wear new underwear. I knew there was a tradition that included grapes and underwear!!!!

I like the walking around the block one. I can imagine everyone in your neighborhood walking around the block with suitcases lol!