Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Traditions, Princess vs. Beast

So here I am in Egypt and most likely we would not be coming for a while and perhaps the next time we come would not be Ramadan, so girls here are a few traditions that Baba's family follows in this times. I will assume most Egyptians do it as well.


  • To break the fast in Ramadan, they get dates put them in water couple of hours earlier with some gold raisins, and drink this sweet juice to break it.


  • Right after it, breakfast is eaten can be a combination of platters.


  • For the first day of Eid, the food is falafel, fool, salad this is at baba's home it depends the family and what they want to eat, however at guido's home for many years they eat this.


  • Children wear new clothing and shoes.


  • The Eid or feast is for 3 days right after the Ramadan is finish.


  • Also for Eid children get money.

Oh girls I was not aware there are special prayers the last night of Ramadan, so last night every 2 hours the loud speakers from the mosque behind the house kept on waking me up. I was not sure was going on but this morning I asked Guido and told me there would not be special prayers tonight.


After having our lunch/dinner Guido, Zetu and Suzzu gave the girls their first Eid present. Girls you got hold of that money and did not want to let go of it.






From week 10.05.08






From week 10.05.08
Samia you were looking at that money and counting it like you knew how much it was





From week 10.05.08
Samia you wanted to put it in your bag right away





From week 10.05.08
I asked you what you want to buy and right away with that kindness that characterizes you said "I want cake for Gamila" I know you are tired of reading this (don't change). Then I bath the girls and put them in their new outfits since khalo Gamal was coming with tanty Wafaa and Mahamoud, khalo Ahmed and tanty Mona to see the girls.



Samia as you call yourself the princess enjoy her new dress with her white shoes and socks you look so beautiful,






From week 10.05.08
showing up your dress and turning like a princess,





From week 10.05.08
And yes you and Gamila are my princess no matter how old you are.


Gamila you on the other hand destroyed your socks in less than 1 minute after I put them on,






From week 10.05.08
what can I say you are little beast you might not look and turn like a princess but you surely look like one with those curls and those eyes, and that devilish smile





From week 10.05.08
So khalo Gamal arrives and brings the two of you this little birds that you pull a string and they go in circles and a light goes off in the belly, poor Mahamoud got stuck playing with Samia for hours,





From week 10.05.08
Gamila just enjoy seeing the bird turn and turn





From week 10.05.08







From week 10.05.08






From week 10.05.08






From week 10.05.08

So girls in Colombia the people from the coast are very loud and today I learn that happens here as well, tanty .... is from old Alexandria and wow can she be loud, it was funny seeing her just talking/screaming and the hand gestures, wow they beat nono's from Italy....Is funny but if someone that does not speak spanish goes for dinner at my house would think we are fighting because between the screaming and the hand gestures you might think that next thing that is coming is an upper hand. Well, here in Alexandria is the same, thank God I know how it works or else I will be scared to death every time a couple of people get together. I guess I really have not notice if Yehia and I are that loud but nenas I guess you guys would tell us in a couple of years.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

They are so pretty in their new outfits!