Thursday, September 25, 2008

Riah Elkhamseen,Weather, Gamila

So this morning I woke up a bit under the weather, not sure I think I catch what the girls being having on an off, usually like I had mention here on the past the weather here is always beautiful blue skies very few clouds and a very scorching hot sun. However last night the night was much cooler that I even closed the window I will take a picture of the windows here not like ours back home. This morning when I was going to hang the clothes in the balcony I was a bit hesitant, since I found the sky to be cloudy but not dark clouds like we get back home.
From week of 9.28.08

As the morning moved on I notice very few people on the streets and lots of dust, we were having a mild Rriah Elkhamseen (sand storm), Zetu called me upstairs and ask me to close all the windows, I did except the one from the bathroom just to check what would happened, and since the bathroom here is easy to clean I figure that when I take a shower at night I could throw water everywhere, boy was there dust/sand in the bathroom at night. Here are a few pictures that I took from the balcony
From week of 9.28.08

From week of 9.28.08


It reminded me of the Indian summer, my first year in New York back in 1997, I had endure the summer in New York and coming from Miami that is a city that as built for hot weather it was hard to get used to New York a city that was definitely not build for heat, so here I am all excited the fall arrives we start to wear sweaters, jackets the temperature is great and all of a sudden there is a weekend of heat I was like what is this, little did I know there was something called Indian Summer! I have being blessed I have being able to live in different places and to see different climate changes, I hope you girls get to do the same it is really nice and you would get the chance to admire how nature is so perfect. For instance back home in Colombia is very common to have earthquakes and I remember being maybe 8 or 9 and being in the farm on vacation and seeing all the cows laying and the dogs barking and it was a different behavior and the capataz not sure how to say this in english told us, there is going to be an earthquake and surely enough there was an earthquake a few hundred of kilometers from our house, we sustained minor damage but I remember being in the bed early morning and feeling how my bed was shaking. Also in Miami we had many scares of hurricane till we got Andrew wow that was scary, I remember hearing the transformers go off, loosing our windows, moving from room to room, then starting to loose the ceiling and feeling the rain come in, that is something that I would not want to go thru again, but girls the only piece of advice I can give you is keep a mattress handy and do not light up candles during the storm, and if things get to scary go in the tub and used the mattress as your shield. Oh and of course living in New York I had my experience with snow storms, oh and in South Carolina I went thru an ice storm, but I have to say I prefer a snow storm than an ice storm.
Girls just wanted to give you a few ideas of what weather changes mami has gone thru so far.
So today Gamila got the chance to talk to her baba, I never though she would be so excited she laugh and stay very still listening to him
From week of 9.28.08
From week of 9.28.08

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Wow, that was a sand storm! Yes, today was the last day of the swamp class, they said that we can come back the next 2 weeks to make up for the ones that we missed because of the hurricanes, but we're just going to get our money back :) and maybe try again next year.